Thursday, August 11, 2011

Leaving Shiraz and hitting the 2500m mark

Tuesday 10th :
The guys of Kia Motors finished the repairs on the car yesterday afternoon. Tell me where else I can have a puley fabricated and installed, the carburetors tuned, 1L oil and 1 spare belt for less than 40eur ?? Thanks to all the guys and particularly Saman for the translation.
They didn't do anything to the rear axle as there are no vibrations or funny driving occuring. I will monitor the wear of the tyres the next few days and get in touch with my faithful mechanical consultants.

So I was happy to have again power steering and idle to go out of the city. To get in 2 days ago, i have been sweating drops like my thumb and giving a beating to the clutch.

I could not wait to go again to the middle of nowhere. I visited Persepolis on the way (please google it if you want info and pictures). That is a must if you come to Iran, however I preferred Petra in Jordan and Palmyra in Syria.

After that I could find the way to the mountains. Never easy to spot the beginning of a track with a 1:1.500.000 roadmap ! But experience and a bit of luck got me there everytime so far. I was heading to Confluence Point N31E52 (did I tell you already about the confluence project ? Check it out : http://confluence.org). That is already my third attempt to reach a point in Iran. With already two failures due to heat and uncertainity about trekking time in unforgiving mountainous terrain. First time I had to give up 700m away and second time 900m away from the point.

However this time it would be a walk in the woods. For close to 200km, graded tracks and narrow tar roads unwinded in fertile plateaux between high mountains ranges. That is in these moments that I really know why I do this trip. Few villages, lots of peasants and goat herders living in tents and all the cultures you can imagine from rice to apple trees. When nearing the confluence point I reached the altitude of 2500m.
I am camping here in a landscape that can again probably be used for an ad for Land Rover or Eezy Awn (the roof tent). Few lights at 5-10km down in the plain and a plane high in the sky every now and then. Pretty difficult to really be in the middle of nowhere !

Only six days left on my visa. So unfortunately I will probably have to hit soon a motorway to the north of the country. I didn't even passed Esfahan yet :-)
I will have again 2 weeks after Naxcivan and will try to get one month on my way back. Beside being an amazing country with great people, I don't mind spending a lot of time in a country where the petrol cost half a euro a liter. The V8 drinks 27L every 100km :-(

I keep you posted !

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone