Monday, August 8, 2011

Reaching Shiraz

Yesterday (7/8) the puley of the hydraulics of the power steering broke when I was climbing a mountain pass. I heard a strange metallic noise through my earbuds but I didn't pay much attention as the car was driving fine. A bit further, I realised it was a bit difficult to steer so I stopped on the side of the road. A truck driver stopped to help me (again the kindness of the Iranian people). From under the car, the steering looked OK. But when I opened the bonnet (breaking the handle of the locking cable doing so), we noticed the belt hanging loose and the puley nowhere to be seen. It broke clean and went away, luckily not damaging the fan or the radiator. I didn't walked down 1km to get the puley, eventhough I should have.
I was a bit nervous at first to drive the car down the mountain without power steering, but it ended up all right. The driver followed me all the way to Firuz abad and left, but not without giving me fruits and cold water. There they told me that my best chance to have that repaired
The landscape was amazing, going up and down moutains and green mountain plains but I had other things to think of than taking pictures. For the first day since I started, the temperature didn't hit the fifties in the cabin. Happy to be in altitude !

So this morning I reached Shiraz. I just intended to go throug the city on my way to Persepolis, but it looks like I will have to stay a bit longer.
At the second workshop I go, a guy climb in my car and we start touring the workshops looking for somebody to help me (Did I mention already the Iranians are so friendly ?) As if it was not bad enough to drive in the city with no power steering, now the engine can not stay on idle anymore and stalls every time I stop. Funny when I reach the first traffic jam and first traffic light in 1000km. Let me tell you I sweat a lot and it is not due to the mild temperature (37). At the 3rd stop we reach a place full of local Land Rovers (the brand is Pazhan).
Unfortunately it is the first time they see the V8 engine and don't have the puley, probably not even in the whole country. So they will modify another puley and try to fit it in.
So I will spend the night in town, but I cannot imagine sleeping in the garage. So I will probably spend the night in a hotel despite I said I wouldn't. I must say I am attracted by the idea to eat something else than canned tuna tonight :-)

I can not upload pictures with my phone data connection, so you will have to wait that I have a proper connection.
I keep you posted !
Patrice
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Location:Shiraz