Friday, February 24, 2012

Kurdistan Forever !

After leaving Cappadocia, I crossed a last snow storm and I stopped for the night near a small village.
In the morning, some people knocking at the door wake me up and invite me for breakfast.  No doubt about it, I reached Kurdistan during the night !  Another hint ?  Police is patrolling the cities in armored vehicles and the police stations are protected like Fort Knox, reminding me of the Belfast of the nineties. 
I really like this remote region of Turkey.  People as friendly and welcoming as in Iran and beautiful landscapes : lakes, mountains, ...  That is the kind of place I would spend holidays.  And eventually I get the weather I dreamed of for this trip.  For the last 4 days it is bright sun and a nice -5°c to 0°C. 

First invitation for breakfast
Lakes, mountains, sun and snow, what else ?
I haven't succeeded in reaching the confluence points I tried.  The villages nearby are not inhabited during winter and I didn't want to walk for hours in 1m snow.  I will come back one day in spring or summer !  I left some people puzzled and wondering why on Earth I wanted to go to Yigitharmani, and why in winter :-).  I didn't even try to explain and left after tea :-)

I have got now the winter I prepared for.  3 nights ago, the temperature went down to -28°C.  And I decided not to sleep in my tent.  I can manage -15°C, but nearing -30°C is not fun anymore and can really be dangerous.  I am not sure I am equipped for that so I didn't risk it.  I was invited to sleep in a petrol station.  Around Van Lake, no sign of the earthquake of few months ago, all buildings are up and standing.  Not even a crack in the walls.  What did they showed us on television ?  The only visible signed where some "container towns" and few tents of the red croissant that are now used for the cattle.

Van Lake


I had the first view of Mount Ararat when going to Dogubayazit on a road 2600m high at sunset.  Really beautiful but I hurried to reach the city, as it was already near -20°C at 5pm.
The border to Iran was closed yesterday for I don't know what reason so I went for a drive around mount Ararat.  It seems reopened today so I will try and cross to Iran.



The minute I enter Iran, it means that I have only one month of traveling left, except if I extend my visa.  After that, it is back to normal life, work, etc, ... :-(