Monday, September 19, 2011

Greetings from Europe !

Reaching Europe was a far abstract possibility but after 47 days of travel it became a reality.
I eventually (and reluctantly) left the black sea to come back on the Ankara-Istanbul highway and after one last night in Asia, I was ready to reach Europe.
When I crossed the bridge on the Bosphorus a wave of emotion overwhelmed me and by the time
I reached the European bank, I could not avoid 2 small tears running down my cheeks. But I quickly regained control of myself as I was on the ring of Istanbul and all my attention was required.
Mission accomplished anyway, as a victorious (or defeated) crusader (I don't want to upset my muslim friends, but the image was to good to turn down), I made it back home.
2 more important steps today, I reached the 9000km mark of my trip and 100,000 m of total climb.

It is a cultural crime not to visit Constantinople, but my car is definitely not the best way to cruise a city of 15 million inhabitants. I will try to find a place to leave it to visit the city on my way back or at worst it is only a 3,5 hour-flight from Dubai and a good choice for a long weekend.

Thrace was so boring that I decided to try my luck and cross the border to Bulgaria on the same day. When I enquired about the visa for Bulgaria, I learned (or probably re-learned) that Bulgaria was part of the EU. Well next thing I will be told is that the president of the USA is black :-)

The easiest crossing so far. As I was entering the EU, the Turks didn't bother to search the car, and as I have a Belgian passport the Bulgarians didn't bother neither. I was not even entitled a stamp on my passport. I was nearly pissed off :-) In any case you have to see the 20km queue of trucks at the border to really understand the benefits of a big european borderless market...

Next steps is the Balkans and I should be in Belgium in 2 weeks Insch'Allah.
I keep you posted !
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone